Friday, May 31, 2013

Man's search for meaning -You expect something from life or Life should expect something from you


Good thing about your true friends are that they can say those things on your faces without getting worried abut pros & cons. Your ego also does not get hurt with them saying this on your face. I was invited by one of my old friends for a dinner and was looking forward discussing anything which came to my mind without fear of being judged . Few single malt drinks with aroma of anticipated Chicken Biryani had set the mood for the evening . The evenings like this always remind me of my wife as this is the way life has to be lived with family,friends and an open discussion about few topics of common interest where every one listens,contributes,develops his understanding better about the topics which were part of the discussion..This was one of those evenings....

The intention was not to discuss Frankl but he came from somewhere & we started discussing about Freud's frustration in the sexual life & Frankl frustration in the "will-to-meaning." Frankl had came to a stage in his life when he suddenly realizes he has "nothing to lose except his so ridiculously naked life." Also he said to live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering. If there is a purpose in life at all, there must be a purpose in suffering and in dying. But no man can tell another what this purpose is. Each must find out for himself, and must accept the responsibility that his answer may prescribes. If he succeeds he will continue to grow in spite of all indignities.

Frankl is fond of quoting Nietzsche, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how". In the adverse conditions which we all face sometime or the other are nothing as compare to what Frankl faced in a concentration camp where circumstance were forcing prisoners lose their hold on themselves Like he said that all the familiar goals which we all have in life are snatched away. What alone remains is "the last of human freedoms"— the ability to "choose one's attitude in a given set of circumstances." This ultimate freedom as we say..

Frankl aim become to awaken in prisoner (or patients for him ) the feeling that he is responsible to life for something, however grim his circumstances may be. One of the sentences which I heard him saying in one of his videos were - the more you aim success or happiness the more you are going to miss it in present .

We all face situations in our life where you are confused and hesitated with what you should be doing. It can be giving up now to fate or trying one more time.Should I do this because this is right thing to do or because I am being watched or I will get caught ? Should I pick up a job because I love doing it or because it gives me a good salary package? Should I go with what I enjoy or with what I feel I am responsible for ?

I have always listened to my conscience allowed me to do and went with it to the best of my knowledge & abilities. Then if you will live to see that in the long run— "in the long run" (How long :-)) —success will follow you because you had "forgotten" to think of it.

What I have found myself is that Success is the unintended side-effect of one's dedication to a cause greater than oneself.In the similar way , Happiness is the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself. Happiness must happen, and the same holds for success: you have to let it happen by not caring about it. Watch the video below ....you will like it...rest of Frankl next time..


No comments:

Post a Comment