Friday, May 10, 2013

Struggle between Theory and Practice

As a management practitioner ,I always have struggle between what we call theory/books and what reality demands .This reality can be as applied to your own life or for the business you work for.
Your reading and knowledge should not become like weather forecast or a daily horoscope as published in newspapers everyday...which everyone goes through but no one believes in 
I do not want to disrespect academicians here but in my own experience I have found this to be true many times. When I shared this with one of my friend ,he told me that horoscopes are sometimes useful as they contain practical advice.
I have seen my colleagues in academia and in business many times getting into the "trap" which I call intellectual masterxxxx. They are happy with getting themselves published in journals or getting patents but not interested in co-relating this to the impact the same will have to address the critical challenges of people in their life or for businesses they work for.
In my own experience ,I have seen this more becoming a manipulation or just to impress their colleagues or seniors (more of a ego booster ) then a real creation of value.Research as applied should be the measure.
I have been associated with Industry and Academia and as well want to take my share of blame as well of not doing enough..I love theories/books/knowledge and do not want people to loose respect for same.I feel it's my duty to make sure that relevance of same is always maintained. I’ve always wanted to be in a position where I create a real value.. 
I have been as well reading psychology apart from management books .I have been able to find commonalities between challenges as faced by people and business. People are both component of business and family (&society ) -Family, Society & Business is for people & by people so they are very well interrelated 
When I have gone deep in the problems as faced by them,I’ve learned that often there is more to a problem than what is seen on the surface .The real crux of a problem turns out to be invisible. Over a period of time ,I have learnt from my colleagues,friends,clients and have become more aware and conscious. 
I have learnt that behind rational behavior there is lot of irrational causes A anthropologist Ashley Montagu once said, “Human beings are the only creatures who are able to behave irrationally in the name of reason 
I’ve learnt from my own experience that the best way to grow our minds is to solve real problems only.

No comments:

Post a Comment